Environment & Landscape
Policy: EL1 – Landscape Character Areas
Development will be supported where there is no negative impact on the character of landscape areas. Where a negative impact is identified, development will not be supported unless there are exceptional public benefits.
Developments must demonstrate how they have taken into account, respect and do not negatively impact the character of the landscape.
Policy: EL2 – Valued Landscapes
The following areas listed below and identified on Map EL2 are identified as locally valued landscapes. Development on these important areas that would reduce the visual and / or recreational amenity of any of these sites will not be supported.
• Gannel Estuary
• Pentire Headland and Fistral Bay
• Towan Headland and the Beacon
• Coastal Strip from Barrowfields to Porth Beach
• The Porth Valley
• Trevelgue Point/Porth Island
• Coastal strip From Trevelgue to Parish boundary at Watergate Beach
Policy: EL3 – Protection of Views and Vistas
Development proposals must ensure that key views, from the vantage points identified on Map EL3, of distinct buildings, heritage assets, areas of landscape, coast and open countryside can continue to be enjoyed. All proposals within the areas identified on Map EL3 and in Appendix 6 (photographic records) should submit a visual impact assessment showing how their development will impact on relevant views. Proposals will be supported where there is no adverse impact on these views.
• Views across the beaches from coast path, beach access and town
• Views from and across the undeveloped headlands
• Views of the coast and the River Gannel from elevated areas of Newquay
• Views across the Boating Lake from Trenance Woodlands
• Views of the coast from the Barrowfields
• Views across Porth beach and to/from Trevelgue Head and Porth Island
• Views up the coast from beaches, roads and coast path towards Watergate Bay and Tregurrian
• Views from the South West Coast Path back inland and out to sea
• Views along the Gannel Estuary and across to Crantock
• Views from Pentire Head to Crantock Beach
Policy: EL4 – Local Green Spaces
Development proposals on the public open spaces identified on map EL2 are not supported unless the proposal enhances the existing use.
The green spaces identified on map EL2 and listed below are designated as Local Green Spaces. Built development on land which has been identified as Local Green Space will only be supported where it is small scale and is incidental to the use of the land as green space. The following sites are designated as Local Green Spaces (in Post Code Order):
• Penhallow Memorial Garden
• Beachfield Gardens
• The Beacon (War Memorial)
• Newquay Golf Course
• Pentire Pitch & Putt
• Esplanade Green
• Lawton Close Green
• Atlantic Road Car Park
• Trevean Green
• Mount Wise Gardens
• Mayfield Park
• Treloggan Doorstep Green
• Trenance Gardens
• Trenance Park/Heron Centre
• The Barrowfields
• Godolphin Green Sward (football ground)
• St Columb Minor Recreation Ground and Football Field.
• The Porth Wetlands
• Priory Woods
• The Frozen at Tregurrian